Monday 11 February 2013

The working world and back again

Apologies for not updating sooner.  Today is my *first* weekday off to myself since the new year began!  During the whole month of Jan, and the first week of Feb, I was working as a wardrobe assistant for an indie film.  It was an interesting experience, and a good introduction to the world of making movies.  But the hours were very long and I missed being home with the cats, for sure.

However, the job did ensure I would be able to get the kittens spayed very soon!  In fact, I'm taking Danger in to the vet tomorrow for her pre-anesthetic bloodwork.  If that all checks out, she'll get spayed on Friday.  For the bloodwork, they check liver and kidney functions, proteins, glucose levels...all the main factors, which is great.  It also gives a base line of her "normals" so that if she has any issues in the future, they can look back at those numbers.  It's really important to get these blood tests done before undergoing any anesthesia, for animals and of course for us humans, too!  I know a lot of clinics have it listed as an "elective", and give the owners the choice...and I also know it costs extra money that we don't always have.  But what if your pet had underlying kidney or liver issues (the organs which metabolize anesthetic drugs)?  It could seriously compromise their ability to recover, or even survive the procedure.  I know from my experience working as a vet tech, this HAS happened to pets before.  So, I'll do everything in my power to make sure all the bases are covered and my kitties are safe to undergo anesthesia :)

Now that my "safety" rant is complete, I'm delighted to say that Fluffy has gotten even braver:)  She'll now come right up onto my lap to get cuddles!  She won't really lay down on my lap, but she'll sit on me and stay there a while.  She also really loves to be brushed, but I can't brush her belly yet...and of course that's where I've felt a couple little matts.  I'm going to take her into the vet on Friday when I pick up Danger, to get her nails trimmed (another thing she won't let me do) and get those matts cut out.  She's fine at the vet, being one of those cats who just freezes...not one who lashes out.  I have many scars from those types of cats, for sure:p

Speaking of my time as a vet tech, I'm really excited about the possibility of going overseas to volunteer for an animal rescue who truly needs more skilled help!  I've actually even just started an Indiegogo fundraising campaign, offering some of my photography as perks for people who donate.  Check it out here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/329086

If you can help, it would be amazing!  Even just sharing with your family and friends...the more people who know about it, the more potential donations:) 

In the meantime, I'm of course looking for more work to save up money as well! But I'd love to be able to go soon, before I become invested in another full-time job.  

Here's some recent kitty pics!!

Fluffy sitting on my lap!  Stitches is on Dan's lap:)

Sitting very silly-like while cleaning her tail.  So cute!
I changed phones recently, and am now using an older version of the iPhone.  Transfering pictures with it kinda sucks:/  But I'll try and get some more up very soon!

Ohhhhh....I also just found out about this helpful Webinar "Helping Cats in your Community" by AlleyCat Allies:
http://www.alleycat.org/Webinar

Looks like it will be very informative!!
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment