Monday 4 June 2012

The Road So Far...

In the adventures of life, there will always be uphill climbs and some slippery slopes to challenge our paths.  This may seem very obviously cliché to say, but it aptly describes the last week for Yin, Yang and myself.

I was entirely too occupied with trying to get things organized for the art show I was participating in this past Sunday, and had a few snags (the canvas prints I ordered didn't arrive in time...now they won't get here until tomorrow:p).  The show would have been successful if the weather hadn't been so terrible.  There were a lot of talented artists, and we all had very low sales due to the lack of people who ventured out.  But we also made some great contacts, and possibly some residual sales from people who were interested but not quite committed to buy on the spot.

In kitten life, there's been a lot of playing, pouncing, learning and cuteness extraordinaire.  There's also been a bit of a struggle, with Yin's walking ability still uncertain.  She can climb though!  She's having a hard time getting her back legs fully under her to support her weight, and there's a thought it could be either very delayed development, or a congenital defect.  I'm getting a vet appt this week to get her checked out.  She's SO sweet, and playful...doing everything else a kitten her age should do:)  She plays really well, is curious, running about (which she does better than walking!) and "stalking" toys.  They're both drinking water now, and I'm getting them interested in some real food!  Here's a picture of Yin climbing up the side of the futon to see me:


I took some video of her walking, so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.  Though yesterday I saw her take a few shaky steps with her back legs completely under her, normally they tend to be correct for a couple steps and then splay out to the sides.  But when she's moving fast, she has better control, or compensates with her front legs.  Right now I'm watching her and she's standing properly, and took a lot of correctly positioned steps!  It's like when she really concentrates she can do it.  I have high hopes for her, but still I feel more comfortable getting her examined by a doctor.  Yang, on the other hand, is running, pouncing, and all over the place! I'm picking up this scratching post tomorrow that I ordered.  I wanted a bigger one but it won't fit in this room:p  They will still have a lot of climbing fun:)


 Here's some videos of them playing and walking:



Last night, feeling tired and and disappointed that the show got rained out, I went into the room to watch some shows on the laptop and my daily dose of kitten love.  I was greeted by Yang sleeping on the futon, and he stayed there with me while I chilled out, even purring until he was dreaming:)



Then he woke up and discovered my laptop!


Later, Yin woke up and they were playing together:) 

So I've heard it said that you always end up keeping your first fosters....Well, certainly if Yin ends up having actual issues with her legs I'll keep her, since trying to adopt out a "special needs" kitten is tough.  And well, Yang supports her too much to try and separate them!  So the bottom line is, whether I adopt them or not, I think they need a forever home together:)  Fluffy is certainly coming out more often, is playful with her babies and I can interact with her through her toys.  She will come up and sniff my hand, or my feet if I'm sitting in here, but shies away from being pet or handled. She hides away from anyone else who comes in here.  I hope that once her hormones balance out she will be friendlier.  If she adjusts well I think she will find a good home, either here with me or with another family.  Really, all of this depends on Stitches.  The first kitten introductions will be in another week or so, when they are 6-7 weeks. I'll start by putting them in the carrier and letting them sniff through there, to see how Stitches reacts.  I'll need to know before they are 8 weeks whether things will work out, as that's the time they'd be placed for general adoption and get their first vaccines and deworming.  Although we do have 2 floors, and they enjoy this room, I don't want to have more animals that I have to keep separated from each other.  It's been hard enough with the dog and cat having to be on different floors! 

Now just waiting for the vet appointment to be confirmed.  I'm hoping Fluffy and Yang don't freak out to much without her there for a few hours:(

I will be sure to keep you all updated on Yin's progress!  Also, my next art venture will be a fundraiser for another animal rescue organization, so stay tuned for details as I plan and organize:)

Ohh, and I almost forgot...kittens are 5 weeks old today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment