Monday 30 April 2012

The Kittening!

Of course it had to happen overnight.  She was her usual vocal self, from what I heard while trying to sleep last night, so I didn't suspect anything.  Though as I mentioned in my last post, her vocal habits were increasing, so it was probably a sign that The Kittening would happen soon.

When I went in to see her this morning, the first thing I noticed was a bit of fluid on the floor.  I looked under the futon and she was lying in the bed.  I couldn't see anything and didn't hear anything right away, but within a few minutes there were kitten squeals!  I suppose she moved a bit and they were complaining, lol.  I pulled the bed closer to me and shone my flashlight app (yay smartphone apps!) in to see what was going on.  There were 2 babies:)  Upon closer inspection, I noticed legs of a third.  It was under her.  I pulled it out gently but it wasn't moving at all.  A baby black one, it was probably the first and she didn't know what she was doing.  Either that or it was a stillborn.  Very sad:( 

Very shortly after that I noticed she was pushing every now and then, so I assumed another would arrive shortly.  After about 30-45 mins of pushing, it became obvious that she wasn't getting it out properly.  I made sure the other 2 kittens were safe and warm, and I bottle-fed them a little bit as well (I wasn't sure how long they'd been in the world, or how much they'd eaten yet).  Then I tried to get ahold of Fluffy to help her.  She kept dodging me, but after about 15 minutes I caught her.  It then became obvious that the kitten was coming out backwards!  I gently tried to help but it was very stuck...so immediately called the vet and put her in the carrier.  I put the 2 babies in with her, called a cab and we were on our way.

On a side note, I specifically asked for a cab that took debit.  Is that what I got?...no.  But didn't find out until we got to the clinic.  So I had to bring Fluffy in to get her immediately looked at, then run back out to find a bank machine to pay the stupid cab. Anyways, that's my cab rant...Beck taxi, I don't like you today.

By the time I got back into the clinic and exam room, they had gotten the kitten out but it was too late:(  It was a little black n' white one.  But Fluffy was okay now, and not in pain.  They then x-rayed her to check for more kittens, and clean her up a bit.  She's all inflamed back there due to the straining, so that will take a few days to heal.  She didn't have any more kittens inside, so there are two healthy babies:)

The vet was worried about whether she would eat or not, and advised I keep a close eye on her.  He also said if she's not eating I would have to bring her back tomorrow. 

Once I got her and the babies home, I set up the nice comfy bed just slightly under the futon so I can keep a close eye on things.  Then I put her and the kittens on the bed and sat with her to make sure the kittens would suckle and she would settle with them.  Which they did and she did:)  I fed her some A/D and she ate it so yay!

I just went in to check on her again, and finally got a nice picture (cellphone again:p) of them.  The babies are bigger than the newborns I've seen in the past...probably why she had such a hard time with them!  They're quite mobile and I'm glad they are eating well:)


I'll probably be able to tell what sex they are in a week or so:)  As you can see, one is black and white, and the other is black.  The black and white one has extra toes (polydactyl)!!!! 

Anyways, it was an emotional day.  Sad about the 2 kittens that didn't make it:(  But happy that mom and kittens are doing well!




4 comments:

  1. Congrats and thanks, Jeanette! You clearly saved the lives not only of the two little ones, but Fluffy as well. I don't even want to think about what would have happened to Fluffy if she was left to give birth last night in the cold weather and alone. It would have been awful. You are a hero and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you're gonna make me cry! Thanks I just feel happy that I was able to help her:) It's always been my calling to help animals, and since I'm not working as a vet tech anymore, it's awesome that I can help in other ways.

      :D

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful thing you have done Jeanette! I bow down to you. I look forward to seeing more updates on momma and her babies. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mimi:) I wish I had been able to photograph the birth, but fate had other plans! I'll be sure to update regularly, even if it's mostly just tons of kitten pictures,lol

      Delete